Who is a Journalist?
On November 17 together with the New Jersey Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, The Citizens Campaign is pleased to co-sponsor and participate in a lively discussion on "Who is a Journalist?" at the Montclair Public Library.
Join many of the top journalists, scholars and lawmakers in the state for an important panel discussion and question & answer session...Who is a Journalist? (REGISTER HERE)
Panelists & Presenters:
- Jonathan Alter, an award-winning author, reporter, columnist and television analyst. Former Senior Editor of Newsweek and frequent TV news commentator.
- Thomas Healy, Author of the best-selling "The Great Dissent: How Oliver Wendell Holmes Changed His Mind--and Changed the History of Free Speech in America"
- Senator Loretta Weinberg, NJ Senate Majority Leader and prime sponsor of legislation to expand OPRA and the Sunshine Law.
- Dr. Uchenna Ekwo, Center for Media Peace Initiatives
- Peter Szekely, Deadline Club & The Newspaper Guild
- Merrill Brown, Director of Montclair State University's School of Communication and Media
- Justin Auciello, Jersey Shore Hurricane News
- Ronni Reich, The Star-Ledger
- Heather Taylor, Communications Director, The Citizens Campaign
- Michael Shapiro, Founder & Editor, The Alternative Press
This event is co-sponsored by:
NJ Society of Professional Journalists, The Deadline Club, The Newspaper Guild of NY, The Citizens Campaign and The Center for Media Peace Initiatives
With top speakers, food and a chance to speak your mind, it is important that you...
1:30 Refreshments and Check-In. (The RSVP List will be honored only from 1:30 until 2 PM, as per library rules. After that time the event is open to the public, with capacity capped at 100 people)
2:00 - 4:00 Lively Discussion. The event will begin at 2PM sharp. We will debate many aspects of journalism today, including citizen-journalism, public relations, feature reporting and, of course, the proposed national shield law for protecting sources. Audience participation is encouraged.
4:00 - 4:45 Meet & Mingle
Parking & Transportation:
The Montclair Public Library is at 50 South Fullerton Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07042. Directions can be found at http://www.montclairlibrary.org/schedule The library is convenient to the Garden State Parkway, Exit 148.
From New York: If you are coming from New York and do not have a car, please let us know in your RSVP email. We will try to arrange a carpool. FYI...There is usually an hourly bus leaving from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on the half-hour. It is the DeCamp #66. Please check the schedule: http://www.decamp.com/schedules_routes.asp If you get off at Bloomfield Avenue and Park Street, you will be a short walk from the library. Please ask for directions in your RSVP email.
Please check njspj.org for updates and more info!
Montclair Public Library
50 S Fullerton Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042
Google map and directions
Emily Kratzer ·