Updated (2/7) -- The State of New Jersey will hold three public hearings next week to solicit public comment on their plan to release more than $1.4 billion in aid. You can read the plan here. (En Espanol.)
This is your chance to make an impact! You have the opportunity to make public comment at these hearings, or to submit written testimony. We are here to help you bring your voice to the table. Download the Citizens' Action Plan Flyer.
- Step 1 - Sign up ASAP if you would like to testify at one of the hearings - there are limited spaces. Dates and Registration here.
- Step 2 - Understand the Plan - Hear from Stacy McCormack from the American Littoral Society, Kevin Walsh from the Fair Share Housing Center, and Nina Arce from the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey on what is in the plan and successful tips for success. Click here for the training.
- Step 3 - Make an Impact - Take our Citizen Legislator class for more information on how to craft a proposal. Take our Citizen Journalist class if you are going to cover the hearings or write articles to promote these hearings on your own blogs and social networks.
- Write a blog post/letter to the editor or even a tweet to notify your friends and neighbors that the hearings are next week and inform them of their rights to testify.
- Submit written testimony or help your neighbors craft their own testimony. Think of those in your community who may not be able to make it in person to a public hearing or don't have access to a computer - senior citizens, displaced homeowners, and others whose voices you can amplify.
- Attend the hearings yourself to offer testimony or to cover the live proceedings.
*All comments must be received on or before March 5, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. to be considered. Write your testimony and submit it to email@example.com or mail to the attention of Gabrielle Gallagher, NJ Department of Community Affairs, 101 South Broad Street, P.O. Box 800, Trenton, NJ 08625.