Empowered citizens are changing the game as Civic Trustees in cities across New Jersey.
Civic Trustees are a new force for strengthening our cities’ ability to tackle tough issues. They are committed to identifying evidence-based solutions to their city’s problems, and working together to implement them with a "no-blame" approach. They make a pledge to serve their city, with their fellow Trustees, by working together to make their city stronger than it is today.
Supported by The Citizens Campaign’s platform of civic power tools and training, and its pro bono government attorneys and policy experts in urban government, Civic Trustees are changing the game by:
- Engaging in bottom-up conversations about issues they care about
- Conducting evidence-based research on these issues to identify what is working in other cities
- Shaping the solution to make it more feasible to get results. This is called “doing the doable”.
- Working with The Citizens Campaign’s Legal Task Force to turn the solution into a “ready to adopt” legal form such as an ordinance, executive order, or resolution
- Approaching challenges with a “no blame” perspective in order to keep the focus on the solutions
- Partnering with local government to get results that are: (1) evidence-based, 2) cost effective, and 3) beneficial to the whole community
- Achieving success via adoption of their solutions by city council, school boards, planning boards and other government agencies
- Sharing the ongoing story of city government innovation through civic leadership written by City Storytellers
Are you ready to change the game?
We encourage you to read The History Behind the Newark Civic Trust!